The elechtromechanical servoactuation (EmS) technology has been developed by Controls for Soil Mechanics applications. It is a silent, environmental friendly, performing technology that eclipses the pneumatic systems removing the need of large, noisy, power consuming air compressors and air treatment devices
In the last years, the benefits of the electromechanical actuation increased and definitely overcome the advantages of the pneumatic systems. The use of compressed air is more and more undesired and expensive. It involves the use of large and expensive compressors, that generate noise and vibrations, requires air treatment systems, is inefficient and power consuming (not environmental friendly).
On the other hand, brushless motor become more and more performing and their cost become competitive toward other type of actuation.
The electromechanical system, silent and highly efficient, is based on conversion of rotary to translational motion. For dynamic applications, it has been highly optimized to apply alternate displacements or forces at high frequencies (tens of Hz). The level of wave-shape fidelity is unbelievably better than the pneumatic actuator and compares to performances of high end, expensive, servo-hydraulic systems. The span (peak to peak amplitude of the wave) is also much better compared to pneumatic actuator at high frequencies.
In static applications as well the electromechanic devices exceed the pneumatic systems, both when load or displacement control is required thanks to the high performances of brushless motors, and sophisticated closed loop control algorithms
The electromechanical servo actuation features the following pluses compared to pneumatic:
- It assures a higher displacement accuracy. In dynamic applications wave-shape fidelity is much higher;
- In dynamic applications, the peak to peak span is assured event at high frequencies;
- It is quieter, compared to a pneumatic servovalve (with continuous air bleeding) and to a compressor that, especially for dynamic application, is very large and noisy;
- It is environmentally friendly with clean operation (no lubrication oil);
- It reduces power waste;
- It reduces maintenance costs;
- It is simpler to install.